iSCSI is a popular protocol to connect storage across the company LAN, creating a distributed storage infrastructure. vtAlpha and vtVAX already support SAN and NFS network based storage and has embedded iSCSI into its Bare Metal product.
No need to add extra software, everything you want is included in the product. You only have to identify the iSCSI targets that you want to connect to your virtual Alphas and VAXes making the network storage elements available to your virtual machines.
Your virtual Alpha and VAX do not need to be aware of all the modern types of storage. They still think they use MSCP, DSSI, SCSI or MSA/EVA, while in fact their files are stored on local disks of any kind or somewhere in the company network using SAN, NFS or iSCSI.
Let us know when you want to learn more about this capability.
Version 2.9 (released July 7, 2014) includes quite a few interesting new features, the most important items summarized here:
- vtVAX can now replace 5 and 6 CPU VAX6000 and VAX7000 systems, addressing the very high end segment of the VAX replacement market
- vtVAX already performed factors faster than the original VAX hardware, this version adds even more virtual CPU performance
- vtAlpha increased its Floating Point performance and added the DE600 Ethernet adapter to its virtual adapter list (= EIx device in OpenVMS).
- FibreChannel storage was already supported, this version adds autosensing of changes in a FibreChannel storage infrastructure. Adding and removing of devices is automatically detected and instantly available for the running virtual Alpha and VAX instances without having to stop/start them.
- Support for iSCSI storage is added in this version. Your virtual Alpha and VAX can use local storage of any kind of network based storage (NFS, SAN, iSCSI).
- vtAlpha resource monitoring. When a virtual Alpha frequently exhausts the CPU or memory resources it has available, the system manager is notified. Now more host resources can be allocated to ensure the virtual Alpha can work at the maximum speed.
- Multiple DNS servers. Support for up to 3 DNS addresses is included in this new version for maximum flexibility.
There are many more smaller improvements included in this release. If you want to know more about that, contact your local vtAlpha/vtVAX reseller. They will be happy to give you the information you need.
Or send us an email.